Monday, September 10, 2007

Chapter 3: Getting Hosted

Once I had a my code mostly put together and a good chunk of content written, I started looking around for a web host. Vast is the world of internet hosting, just google web hosting and you'll see what I mean.

The net is cluttered with different hosts all trying to collect your dollar, and on top of that, the amount of money they're willing to spend to get you as a customer is huge. Many hosts offer $100+ bounties for new customers, so along with hosts, you'll find a glut of sites "reviewing" web hosts. Don't be surprised if they don't have anything bad to say, or point you towards a service that benefits them the most.

One to get a feel for a host is to Google the hosts name + "sucks". Many hosts, especially cheap ones have a huge following of people who hate them. So perhaps finding one that has fewer people seething with rage might be wise.

Being the hasty person that I am, stupidly chose a host that has a large array of horror stories attached. However, I had 30 days to get my money back, so I decided to give it a chance. So far it hasn't been awful, but the site is also barely visited, so it's not like it's a huge strain on them.

No comments: